‘Jerry Jones: A Football Life’ Premieres Friday, December 1 at 9:00 PM ET
“He’s been as big a reason for the growth of the NFL as anybody in the last 25 years that I could possibly think of.” – Tony Romo
NFL Network’s Emmy-nominated series A Football Life continues Friday, December 1 at 9:00 PM ET with a profile of Pro Football Hall of Fame owner of the Dallas Cowboys Jerry Jones. The one-hour show produced by NFL Films features sitdown interviews with Jones, family members, Pro Football Hall of Famers Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Charles Haley, former Cowboys head coaches Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer, former Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and more.
When Jerry Jones purchased the Dallas Cowboys in 1989, he fulfilled his personal dream of owning a professional football team. In the 28 years since, Jones has built on that dream, transforming the Cowboys into the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Jerry Jones: A Football Life examines Jones’ life and the profound impact the Hall of Fame owner has had on the National Football League.
Among the topics discussed in Jerry Jones: A Football Life are:
- His induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2017
- Defeating the No. 1-ranked University of Texas football team in 1964 while playing at the University of Arkansas and the impact it had on his life
- Passing on the opportunity to buy the San Diego Chargers before the merger between the NFL and AFL
- Buying the Dallas Cowboys in 1989 and making the controversial move to fire legendary head coach Tom Landry
- His relationship with former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson
- Making the bold moves to trade for Charles Haley and sign Deion Sanders in free agency
Emmy-nominated actor Josh Charles narrates.
Jerry Jones: A Football Life includes interviews with the following people and more:
Gene Jones – Wife
Stephen Jones – Son
Jerry Jones, Jr. – Son
Charlotte Jones Anderson – Daughter
Jimmy Johnson – Former Dallas Cowboys head coach & college teammate
Barry Switzer – Former Dallas Cowboys head coach & Arkansas assistant coach
Troy Aikman – Hall of Fame quarterback
Emmitt Smith – Hall of Fame running back
Deion Sanders – Hall of Fame cornerback
Michael Irvin – Hall of Fame wide receiver
Charles Haley – Hall of Fame defensive end
Tony Romo – Former Cowboys quarterback
Randy Galloway – Dallas reporter
Ed Werder – Dallas reporter
Rick Gosselin – Dallas reporter
Provided below are some select quotes from Jerry Jones: A Football Life:
– “I not only gravitate toward it but I can function better if I don’t know if the next card that comes up like the riverboat gambler is going to get me thrown off the boat or I’m going to own the boat.” – Jerry Jones
– “We changed our lives. I certainly know mine changed…That has impacted my life ever since because I knew that I could actually be a part of something special like that. It gave me confidence in my early business career and it certainly gave me confidence to think that we could get the job done when I bought the Dallas Cowboys.” – Jerry Jones on defeating the No. 1-ranked University of Texas football team while playing for the University of Arkansas
– “He’s been as big a reason for the growth of the NFL as anybody in the last 25 years that I could possibly think of.” – Tony Romo
– “There is not anyone that he cannot connect with. That’s what makes Jerry Jones so special.” – Michael Irvin
– “Jerry was not the person who offered me the most money in my free agency. It was the Oakland Raiders. If it wasn’t for Jerry Jones, I would have never wanted to be a Cowboy.” – Deion Sanders
– “For 28 years in the NFL, I’ve had more fun than any human should ever have.” – Jerry Jones
– “From that point forward, everything changed. All of a sudden you had security, you had success, you had respect and people just believed that you could do it. And they all wanted to be a part of it. It was never the same.” – Charlotte Jones Anderson on winning Super Bowl XXVII
This year, the 13-episode season of the highly-acclaimed series A Football Life airs Friday at 9:00 PM ET. Below is a broadcast schedule for the remaining episodes of A Football Life:
- December 8 – Aeneas Williams
- December 15 – John Randle
- December 22 – Lynn Swann & John Stallworth
ABOUT NFL MEDIA
NFL Media is comprised of NFL Network, NFL Films, NFL.com, NFL Now, NFL Mobile from Verizon and NFL RedZone.
Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, fans turn to NFL Network to receive information and insight straight from the field, team headquarters, league offices and everywhere the NFL is making news. Launched in 2003, NFL Network gives fans unprecedented year-round inside access to all NFL events, including the Super Bowl, Playoffs, regular season, preseason, Pro Bowl, Pro Football Hall of Fame induction weekend, NFL Draft, NFL Scouting Combine, Senior Bowl, league meetings, minicamps and training camps.
For fans on the go, all NFL Network programming can also be streamed live on smartphones through NFL Mobile from Verizon, as well as other digital platforms such as TuneIn.com and through Watch NFL Network on tablet (NFL Mobile, Watch NFL Network and NFL on Windows 10 apps), PC (NFL.com/watch), Xbox One and Xbox 360 (NFL on Xbox app) and other connected TV devices (NFL app on Apple TV, PlayStation 4, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV). Watch NFL Network access is available for NFL Network subscribers of participating TV providers. For more information, go to NFL.com/nflnetwork.
SOURCE: NFL Press Release